Friday, May 14, 2010

Lawyers - how do you handle potential clients that call in with bogus cases?

Beyond - ';sorry not interested'; I'm sure some of you are tempted to scold them. Any funny stories? When someone calls me with a downright silly case ie ';the nurse at the hospital was rude to me'; I often ask them how much money they want out of the case. They usually say it's not about the money (it's always about the money) so I then say ';great that makes things much easier - just complain to the hospital manager.';Lawyers - how do you handle potential clients that call in with bogus cases?
I once had a ';victim'; come in wanting to file criminal charges against a car dealership that ';forged'; his name on some papers for a car he had purchased. As I recall, the dealer had made a mistake on the papers, and corrected them (to the benefit of the ';victim';), and put his name on the paperwork. Technically, of course, they should not have placed his ';signature'; for him on the new paperwork, but there was no intent to defraud and, thus, no crime.





The guy plastered the cars in the area with flyers screaming that the ';X'; County Proseuctor's Office is protecting white collar criminals! I believe he contacted every media outlet in the area, and I had to explain my decision to the Attorney General's Office (who was just fine with what I did).





It's ironic that so many of the victims I deal with who are raped, beaten, or shot have to be dragged into court, kicking and screaming, but the victim of a bad check for $250 will call me EVERY DAY.Lawyers - how do you handle potential clients that call in with bogus cases?
Lawyers don't care if the case is bogus, they only care if you have money to put down as a retainer.
My best story is about my grandson. He didn't want to go to kindergarten so I told him if he didn't go to school he wouldn't learn to read and he really wanted to learn how to read.





The last day of school I picked him up from school and on the way home he was very indignant. He told me he wanted me to sue the school and the teachers. I asked why, of course. He told me:





';You told me if I went to school they would teach me how to read. Well, I have been going now for 9 months and I still DON'T KNOW HOW TO READ!';

No comments:

Post a Comment